Azure Static Web Apps is a new Azure serverless service that was announced on the most recent build conference and is currently in preview. Static Web Apps combine static web hosting with Azure Functions and continuous deployment via GitHub Actions.
- Integrated API support provided by Azure Functions.
- First-party GitHub integration where repository changes trigger builds and deployments.
- Globally distributed static content, putting content closer to your users.
- Free SSL certificates, which are automatically renewed.
- Custom domains* to provide branded customizations to your app.
- Seamless security model with a reverse-proxy when calling APIs, which requires no CORS configuration.
- Authentication provider integrations with Azure Active Directory, Facebook, Google, GitHub, and Twitter.
- Customizable authorization role definition and assignments.
- Back-end routing rules enabling full control over the content and routes you serve.
- Generated staging versions powered by pull requests enabling preview versions of your site before publishing.
In this quick walkthrough we deploy a basic React app to Azure Static Web Apps.